Press Briefing: Pre-election Report Identifies Seven Major Forces Reshaping the U.S. Economy
Join the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise and the North Carolina CEO Leadership Forum September 22 for the launch of a new report examining the state of our national economy – and exploring its future.
Kenan Institute External Affairs Director
Chapel Hill, N.C. (Sept. 16, 2020) — The economy continues to rank as voters’ top issue leading up to the historic 2020 U.S. presidential election – coming as no surprise given the ongoing recession and unprecedented economic turmoil driven by COVID-19. But as we begin to see some indicators rebound and others stagnate, what is the true state of the economy – and what should our elected officials and other leaders be doing to improve it?
Seven Forces Reshaping the Economy, a new report issued by the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise in partnership with the North Carolina CEO Leadership Forum, explores the economic challenges and opportunities facing our nation amid and beyond the pandemic.
With a clear understanding that there will be no return to “business as usual,” the report offers new findings and pragmatic solutions for decision-makers navigating the following critical trends:
- Changes in work, travel and migration patterns
- Accelerating shifts toward on-demand and at-home retail
- On-shoring and widening of supply chains
- Renewed focus on diversity and dismantling systemic racism
- Upending of education and childcare
- Shocks to healthcare and pharmaceutical demand
- Risk assessment by capital providers
The report launch will culminate in a press briefing held via webinar Tuesday, September 22, at 11 a.m. EDT featuring the following panel of experts:
- DeLisa Alexander, Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer, Red Hat
- Professor Greg Brown, Executive Director, Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise
- David Carroll, Founder, Carroll Family Holdings
- Professor Jim Johnson, Director, Urban Investment Strategies Center, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
- James Rosen, CEO, Artizan Biosciences
Each speaker will provide a brief overview from his or her respective area of expertise, citing applicable emerging research and data, before the floor is opened for questions from the press.
About the Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
The Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise develops and promotes innovative, market-based solutions to vital economic issues. With the belief that private enterprise is the cornerstone of a prosperous and free society, the institute fosters the entrepreneurial spirit to stimulate economic prosperity and improve the lives of people in North Carolina, across the country and around the world. Learn more at kenaninstitute.unc.edu.
Interested members of the press may contact Kenan Institute External Affairs Director MacKenzie Babb to register.